Vegetarian Recipes with Attitude: The site that elevates tofu to a foodstuff.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Hippy Food

Quinoa was a grain, much prized by the Incas. The conquistadors suppressed its farming, making the natives economically dependent upon them. I've never seen the point of it myself. So it's full of protein...yadda yadda yadda...but just because something's good for you, that's no good reason to eat it. I can certainly think of more appealing things to put in my mouth.

However, Space Girl has asked me what to do with it. Resisting the obvious answer, I've come up with this:

First, cook your quinoa. Space Girl has particularly asked for guidance here, following her notorious cous-cous incident, when she boiled it instead of steaming and ended up with 'cous'. First of all, the grains are coated with a saponin, as soapy substance, so rinse them thoroughly first. The consensus out there seems to be one cup of quinoa to two of water. Simmer gently as with rice until the water is absorbed, then fluff with a fork.

Since it's irredeemably hippy alreadey, I see no reason not to stuff it into peppers. Mix it up with some toasted, flaked almonds and some coarsely-chopped orange, apricot (fresh, not dried) or - my top tip - peach. Add a little salt.

Cut your peppers in half. Stuff 'em with the mix. Bake until soft.

Eat while wearing a caftan and listening to the Incredible String Band.


I have a theory. There's been a lot of too-ing and fro-ing about the Labour Party leadership. First Blair was going soon, now he's not. Here's what I reckon: The deal with Brown was that he was meant to serve two terms max after which, having taken Britain into the Euro, he'd go on to acclaim as EU president. Obviously that's not going to happen. But he's nive and cosy with his pray-pal Dubya, he's rumoured to be about to reverse his position on Kyoto, he's paying lip-service to 3rd world issues and he's banging on about terrorism as a global issue. Kofi Annan retires in a year. Clinton wanted the job, but that wouldn't sit well wit Hilary '08. Step forward Secretary General Blair. Remember, folks...you heard it here first.


Having watched the mighty Dylan documentary, I'm reminded of the time he was playing in Paris one cold November. As he came out of his hotel, a journalist asked hin 'Have you got a good quote, Bob?' To which he replied 'Man, if I had a good quote I'd be wearing it!'

No comments: